Monday, September 25, 2017

Papertrey Ink September Blog Hop Challenge


It's late September, and in my little neck of the woods, it means it's time for the Bloomsburg Fair.  I have loved Fair week ever since I was a little girl and now that we're back in the area, I can enjoy it as an adult.  It is the week that officially ushers in the start of Autumn, with crisp air, delicious food and great exhibits.  Well, in 2017, I guess we'll have to settle for 2 out of 3.  I cannot believe the temperature has been well above average, reaching as high as 91 degrees!  Today, I guess I will don my shorts and a tank top and head down for a Hewlett's hot sausage sandwich.  Totally worth venturing out in the heat.  We'll walk through the buildings today, too, which will be nice and cool.

One of the things I love about the Fair is walking through the Horticultural Building.  This year's theme is Hooked on Books, which features a boat floating on a sea of hydrangeas.  In keeping with the floral theme, I was excited to see the inspiration this month is this lovely print by Christa Pierce of Christa Pierce Paper Goods.




This print really captures the spirit of the season.  I see this little fellow taking that bit of color into the colder weather, giving light and warmth to the darkness.  Fall, to me, screams out "mums!" and there is a lovely stamp in PTI's Year of Flowers Collection I've been wanting to play with.  This, to me, seemed like a perfect opportunity to try my hand at masking stamped images.  I have only ever masked tiny areas and wanted to push myself to try something on a grander scale.  It was easier than I feared it would be, I am pleased to say.  This turned out just as I was seeing it in my head.


  

The verse I chose to accompany the flowers is from PTI's Choose Joy.  Getting back to my simpler style, this is a one layer card stamped in black on white.  I did decide to give it some weight by adding a layer of craft foam and attaching it all to a black card base. I played around with both pencils and markers and decided that with all of the black, it would look best colored with alcohol markers.  Someday, I will have to take a marker class.  Everything I learned about coloring I learned in Kindergarten! 

Stamps used this month:



Both currently available in the Papertrey Ink store

Be sure to check out all the creative entries in the hop this month HERE.



Thanks for stopping by!



20 comments:

  1. Love the cascade of mums down the side! Great masking and colouring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so pretty! Lovin' all the mums! Happy hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, what a great choice of stamps! Beautiful arrangement and beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Mums so naturally I think your card is just wonderful. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty...love your use of black and white BG (perfectly balanced)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty card, Jill! Love the theme of the fair! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your column of masked blooms is beautiful - well done! a lovely inspired card - that fair sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sweet friend, I know I am not on the blogs enough...sorry! Well I still love everything you make! This is gorgeous and the layers beautiful!..... Wait one layer? wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm digging the white space on your card. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful card; beautifully stamped, and a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the combination you chose ..perfectly suited to each other and made one very stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, lovely card Jill and FABULOUS masking! Love the sentiment from the Choose Joy set too..one of my favorites!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty flowers! I have that stamp set and this is a perfect design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice use of that stamp set, so pretty! And I love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the encouragement. If you haven't tried masking, give it a whirl! It was pretty neat seeing the bouquet form before my eyes. I am so happy I finally picked up Choose Joy. I've been using the sentiments with my Unity Angie Girls, too. They fill space beautifully.

    ReplyDelete