Sunday, June 3, 2018

PTI Make It Monday #323 -- Cascading Die Cuts

This week's inspiration is from Stephanie Gold of the Papertrey Ink Design Team.  The idea is to have die cuts rolling down the page while they are filling the holes they left behind.

In looking at my stamps to decide how to play along, I thought about tossing a cap at Graduation.  My niece and nephew won't graduate for a few years yet, but I thought I would give the DHS Ironmen color scheme a whirl using Orange Zest and Royal Velvet.



The stamp and die are from the PTI set For the Graduate.
The sentiment is from Colorful Words, which was retired by PTI last month.
My marker of choice is the Spectrum Noir; colors LV3 and OR2 coordinate nicely with the cardstock.
I accented the card from with stars left over from Stamp-a-Faire 2016.

As for the  Monk's cording?  I had fun going way back in my mind to when the Mister was making it to go on his handmade leather possibles bag for his Muzzleloader.  Fortunately, it only took one try for us to remember how to get it right.  

If you've never tried, you start with six lengths of embroidery floss.
I used four of DMC 333 and two of DMC 740.
Cut each length twice as long as you want the finished cord to be.  Gather them up, one on top of the other and tie a small piece of floss at the middle point of the length to hold them together.



Grab a willing volunteer and each of you take one end. Each of you, facing each other and pulling the floss tight, twist the floss clockwise as tight as you can.  Once you have a good tight twist, all along the floss, one of you grab the center tie.  Bring the two ends you were twisting together and knot them together.  Then, let go of the ends and watch it twist up on itself.  You will have to smooth it a little, but it's worth the effort.  I tied a loose knot along the cord to add interest on my card front.

Thank you for stopping by.  Always fun to take the time to play along.  You can see what other's have done for this challenge back on the Papertrey Ink's Blog HERE


4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous card! Your cascading hats makes me think of when the graduates toss their hats in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, we definitely were on the same wavelength, but love how you got the two-toned caps with orange underlay. Your cording finished it off beautifully, and I know any grad would appreciate this. Thanks for another idea for grad cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Jill! I love the movement and that cording is perfection~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Grad card is fabulous, Jill! The Monk's cord is awesome, I've never tried to make it, but want to add it to a card or two now :-)

    ReplyDelete